Main Submission Period
This Side of West publishes an annual issue of undergraduate writing and artwork.
For Issue 20, the Main Submission Period is open from December 4th to January 31st. Follow the guidelines below to submit.
All UVic Undergraduate students may submit to This Side of West.
This Side of West aims to uplift the artwork of Black, Indigenous, and artists of colour at UVic.
This Side of West’s goal is to publish 50% BIPOC artists in Issue 20.
Meaning, if we publish 10 pieces, we aim to publish 5 or more created by BIPOC undergraduate students.
BIPOC artists are strongly encouraged to submit to This Side of West.
Fiction and Nonfiction
We publish short stories, flash fiction, personal essays, and other works of fiction and nonfiction which are 4500 words or less. You may only submit one fiction piece and one nonfiction piece per submission period, regardless of word count. Follow these guidelines when submitting:
- Edit your prose before submitting it.
- Format your story:
- Use 12 point font.
- Use either Times New Roman or Garamond font.
- Double space your entire document.
- Include a word count at the top of the first page.
- Paginate all pages.
- Remove all identifying information from the document. (You will be identified through the submission form.)
- Submit your story as a .docx or .pdf file. (Other file formats will not be reviewed.)
We publish a small number of poems. You may submit up to 5 poems with a total combined page count of 10 pages. Please indicate in your submission form whether or not the poems are a collection. Also, follow these guidelines when submitting:
- Edit your poem before submitting it.
- Format your poems:
- Use 12 point font.
- Use Times New Roman or Garamond font.
- Provide a word count at the top of the first page of each poem.
- Paginate all pages.
- Remove all identifying information from the document. (You will be identified in the submission form.)
- Submit your poem as a .docx file or .pdf. (Other file types will not be reviewed.)
Stage plays and Screenplays
We publish stage plays, monologues, and screenplays that are 25 pages or less. If you submit in one of these genres, follow these guidelines:
- Edit your writing before submitting it.
- Format your work:
- For stage plays, use 12 point, Times New Roman font.
- For stage plays, single space EXCEPT for between characters, in which case, double space.
- For screenplays, use standard screenplay formatting, including 12 point Courier font.
- Submit the correct document types
- For stage plays, submit .docx file only.
- For screenplays, submit BOTH a .docx file AND .pdf file.
We accept all forms of visual art. You may submit up to 5 visual art works. Please indicate whether your works are to be considered as a collection or as separate pieces. Also, follow these guidelines when submitting:
- Title your work.
- If you are sending a photograph/scan of your artwork, make sure it is high-quality/ 300 DPI.
Still have a question?
The Main Submission Period opens December 4th, 2021 @ 12:00 AM and closes January 31st @ 11:59 PM.
Yes. UVic undergraduate students may submit to every genre. However, a given writer or artist may only be published in one genre per issue. For example, if we publish your poems, we will not also publish your nonfiction piece.
Yes. All UVic undergraduate students are encouraged to submit to This Side of West, regardless of their major and classes.
We will notify all submitters about the status of the submission by March 15th, 2022.
Does This Side of West retain the rights to my work? Can I publish my work elsewhere after it has been published in This Side of West?
This Side of West does not retain any rights to your work once it has been published in one of our issues. This Side of West places no restrictions on what you do with your work after you publish it with us.
No, This Side of West does not pay contributors. But, every writer and artist published in This Side of West is entitled to recieve one free contributor copy.
No, we do not accept resubmissions.
Someone who volunteers with This Side of West asked me to submit my piece. Does that mean it's guaranteed to be published?
No, being solicited to submit to This Side of West does not ensure your submission’s acceptance.
Keep ya head up and see the “Writing Resources” section of our website.