- Promote TSOW to First-Year Students.
- Promote TSOW events in WRIT100.
- Hang posters.
- Shadow editors in the genre(s) they’re interested in.
- Attend monthly TSOW meetings.
- A 100-300 word cover letter.
- A resume detailing any relevant experience.
- A 1-page creative writing sample in your preferred genre.
Still have a question about volunteering at This Side of West?
No, you do not have to be a Writing student to volunteer at TSOW. Students from all faculties are encouraged to apply.
Usually 1 school year (2 semesters). This is subject to change as noted in our Code of Conduct. Each applicant must be available for a full school year (i.e. if you are graduating in December 2022, you cannot apply).
No, but staff members are usually provided 2 complimentary books a year: 1 Editorial Anthology in which their work appears, and 1 Issue 21 (subject to inventory).
Yes, you can, however, priority for the Intern position is granted to first years, since a major part of being an intern is connecting the first year Writing community at UVic to TSOW.
Please send your application and supplementary materials to email@example.com
The weekly time commitment at TSOW differs per role, with some weeks having minimal to no work, and others (usually after submission periods close) requiring about 2-6 hours/week.
Rachel Lachmansingh (Editor-in-Chief) and Emma Treleaven (Managing Editor).